RE: [TCLUG:101] install / reinstall ...

well.. you are doing the rescue disk all wrong..
you shouldn't need to do anything with lilo.rpm

to boot a system with a rescue disk, just rawrite the resuce.img (or whatever)
rebot with the disk in the drive, then you should get a boot prompt "boot:"
then just just startup the load of the kernel off the resuce disk with

boot: mount root=/dev/hd(whatever) ro

that will startup your system, just as lilo would normally, only it uses the
kernel off the floppy, and not off your HD.. then once you have your system up
just run "lilo" from anywhere, and boom.. your back in business

really easy :)

On 04-May-98 Jeff Fellows wrote:
> Boy I have slippery fingers, setting up this send to address I sent an empty
> reply to the list as I am sure you noticed, sorry ;-(
>
> It gets better though.  First thanks to you, I have a fresh install of RHL
> 5.  Saturday was my first visit with tclug and I look forward to attending
> future topics.
>
> Without thinking while playing around I decided to try out a few commands
> including /sbin/lilo -u , which uninstalled Lilo with date stamp ( just had
> to try it ).
>
> Now I want to re-install Lilo, but am having a time with it.
>
> I don't have the CD install media, but downloaded lilo-0_20-1_src.rpm off
> the net, and want to transfer it to hda3? ( root on dual boot install ) and
> install with the command rpm --install ?
>
> I have futzed around with the rescue disk trying to mount the file from
> floppy drive, and with Loadlin from my dos / window partition, with a
> variety of error messages ( what is the name of the kernel if it isn't
> vmlinuz ? ).
>
> I would appreciate some detailed instructions on how to go about making the
> install complete again.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff
> so I learned something.  First when sitting before a Unix install, sit on
> your hands.

TTYL,
        Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
                                        -Scott Adams

To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
feature-poor toys.
                                        -How to tell an Engineer