Promoting Linux (Was: RE: Meeting Minutes)

Tony Beltran wrote:
[many fine points snipped]
> Now, if we are talking about promoting Linux as a
> good, solid server, then we have limited the number
> of people who will be dealing directly with Linux and
> all the issues I mentioned are moot.  So, maybe it
> would be worthwhile to define who we are interested
> in promoting Linux to.

IMHO, Linux will first be accepted as a server, not as a workstation.
In other words, the first IT "battle" between UNIX (and Linux) and
Microsoft has occurred and will continue to occur in the backoffice.

UNIX + Samba is a very elegant and simple solution that works and is
stable for a Windows95-oriented office.  I have implemented it at work
in mission-critical areas (always being careful to watch out for
unsupported hardware, and always careful to leave my server alone when
it is working fine) and no one seems to care or notice that the server
isn't running Windows NT.

I attended the IA64 launch last week, and the Gartner Group presentation
about UNIX v. NTS was saying pretty much the same thing: UNIX is taking
off in the backoffice.

So in my world-view, the backoffice IT staff is the first group that I
would target Linux to.

--Jim Hall
		-- Henry Spencer