Re: [TCLUG:179] A Linux newbie needs some advice

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Bob Nolte wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been involved with computers for over 30 years. I think I'm pretty good
> with DOS, Windows, and NT but want to know as much as possible about the
> Unix OS family.

<snip>

> Right now, I don't know what to do to mount a CD disk, which gives some idea
> as to how much ignorance I have as to how Linux really works.

mount /mnt/cdrom
umount /mnt/cdrom
eject

> Here's my questions. Given that I've been able to get this far...
>     What's the best way for me to learn the Linux OS from the ground up

I started by buying the Red Hat 4.2 CD with the installation manual.  That
described enough of the Linux tools to get me going.  Then I went to the
HOW-TOs, located in /usr/doc/HOWTO and /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini.  Then I
started browsing the Web and Usenet newsgroups.

>     Is there a newbie group within TCLUG focused on people like me and
> mentored by someone
>         who knows what's going on?

Not to my knowledge, but that's a great idea.  We should have a test
machine for people to experiment on, too.  I'll donate a B/W VGA monitor
and a 486 motherboard/CPU with 20 megs of RAM.

>     I'd like to rebuild the kernel, just for the drill. Not sure how to do
> this properly.

The HOW-TO on kernel compiling is very detailed.  If you just want to see
what a kernel rebuild is like, do this:

cd /usr/src/linux       <- changes to the Linux source directory
make dep ; make clean   <- prepares for a clean compile
make zlilo              <- rebuilds and installs kernel (takes a while)
                           and updates the lilo boot loader.

For more info, the Red Hat Installation Guide has a good chapter on
building a customized kernel.  Their procedure is safer than my little
example because they show how to make a backup of your original kernel in
case your new one doesn't work.  I don't have that info with me right now.

>     Eventually, I'd like a Linux gateway to the internet. Maybe run a POP3
> mail server.  Good Idea?

That depends on your needs.  If you want to have multiple computers
connect to the Internet over a single line, then a Linux gateway/firewall
can be a safe and effective way to do it.  If you have a lot of e-mail to
organize, than a Linux POP3 or IMAP4 mail server with fetchmail/procmail
can collect and sort it for you.

> I've been lurking around in the e-mail for TCLUG for the past month or
so,
> and most of it is over my head at the moment. I need a guide dog.  Any
> help
> would be greatly appreciated.

I bet a lot of people in this group are just getting started.

--
Carl Patten