RE: [TCLUG:179] A Linux newbie needs some advice

wow, 30 years.. I am somewhat of a computer history fan, I love info about
really old machines.. pre-1980 computers are very interesting, not just small
PC's (like some of the early home built PC's) but larger minicomputers, and
mainframes, I love the stories about the DEC PDP computers,  Linux's learning
curve is someone higher than win95, but you should find it not too much more
dificult than NT.  everything in linux is documented well.. i think sometimes
better than NT docs.  /usr/doc, like Carl said is a good place to start,
remember, 'man' is your friend, and 'man -k' is good too.  some web pages to
start looking for info

http://www.linux.org <- the grandfather linux site
http://www.linuxos.org <- a good page for cool stuff
http://www.linuxhq.com <- good page for latest and greatest kernel stuff
                         archives are great
http://freashmeat.net <- great place to find new software
http://slashdot.org <- "news for nerds, stuff that matters"
                       one of the only places i visit on a daily basis

On 12-May-98 Bob Nolte wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been involved with computers for over 30 years. I think I'm pretty good
> with DOS, Windows, and NT but want to know as much as possible about the
> Unix OS family.
>
> So, I got myself a copy of RHL 5.0 on CD. Took an old 486/80 pc with 16mb
> and added a 1x soundblaster compatible CD-ROM drive that was laying around.
> Then grabbed a 1gb netware ide drive that I had and put it in the box
> without touching it.
>
> I booted with the RHL boot disk. It found the CD-ROM and then let me remove
> the netware partitions. I did the best I could from the book in setting up
> Linux partitions. A few more minutes and the darn thing was up. The only
> problem was the network card io base memory conflicting with the CD. Loaded
> again and all was fine.
>
> Now What? Samba is running and I can see my Linuxbox from my NT domain, so I
> put some data on it.
>
> Problem is, I don't have a clue about what to do next. I got myself into a
> beginner Unix class at the Eden Prairie VoTech, starting in August. I
> guessed that I should start at the beginning. Then plan to take the advanced
> course which may be more useful.
>
> Right now, I don't know what to do to mount a CD disk, which gives some idea
> as to how much ignorance I have as to how Linux really works.
>
> Here's my questions. Given that I've been able to get this far...
>     What's the best way for me to learn the Linux OS from the ground up
>
>     Is there a newbie group within TCLUG focused on people like me and
> mentored by someone
>         who knows what's going on?
>
>     I'd like to rebuild the kernel, just for the drill. Not sure how to do
> this properly.
>
>     Eventually, I'd like a Linux gateway to the internet. Maybe run a POP3
> mail server.  Good Idea?
>
> I've been lurking around in the e-mail for TCLUG for the past month or so,
> and most of it is over my head at the moment. I need a guide dog.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Nolte

TTYL,
        Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
                                        -Scott Adams

To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
feature-poor toys.
                                        -How to tell an Engineer