mounting /usr and patching

Thanks to everyone that replied to my questions about my 'missing' /usr
and fat32 support for RH5.0.

Part 1 - mounting
As it turns out, I did not blow away /usr as I had previously had
thought.  However, I did manage to screw up the mount points in fstab.
/usr is on its own partition hda6.  I can remount it manually using '
mount dev/hda6 /usr', and things are back to normal.  However, once I
shutdown the machine and restart it, I have to manually remount
/dev/hda6, even though it is listed in the fstab file.  Does fstab mount
partitions at start up, or is this information contained in another
file? I have my swap space on hda7.  Does the swap file need to be
mounted also.

Part2 - applying a patch
I successfully downloaded and gunzipped the patch for fat32 support.
However, I am not quite sure on how to install it.  After gunzipping, I
moved the patch to the /usr/src directory.  I entered the command 'patch
-p0 fat32_~1'.
Then I was face with the prompt 'File to Patch:'  .   I tried a variety
of things here, but none of them were successful.  So, what is the file
to patch?

Happy Holiday Weekend and Thanks in Advance,
Randle