Re: [TCLUG:367] I know we've all got a million software...

On Tue, 09 Jun 1998 00:08:24 -0500 Ry4an Brase wrote
>[E DR 14 is] still missing a lot of mandatory features (iconification!), but
>what it has is extremely slick.  The tarball (and associated libraries)
>can be found at:
>	ftp://ftp.labs.redhat.com/pub/raster/

As a matter of fact, a couple of my favorite window managers do
not manage icons.  I have yet to see one which manages them well
(i.e. to my liking).

I use wmx mostly now.  I also dabbled in 9wm for a while.  Their
approach to getting windows out of your way is to hide them
completely.  The hidden windows are listed on a root window menu.
wmx even provides feedback -- as you move the mouse over the menu
entry for the hidden window, the window's border flashes on the
screen, so you can see where it is.

ObPlug: wmx is probably the most *usable* window manager I've come
across.  Its origins are wierd though -- a C++-ified hack of 9wm,
which in turn is probably some of the best written C code I've ever
seen.

In short, s/mandatory/conventional/  ;-)

--
Chris Mikkelson         	mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.