Compiling problems...with everything

Well, I don't know exactly how to explain this, but I have some problems
compiling programs that use libraries (other than the obligatory libc..)

Anything that I have compiled since about the beginnig of June, and that
links to any library other than just libc will crash with a segmentation
fault, essentially while it is loading the library..  Running gdb shows
that they all die in a function called 'rindex'

I want to figure out how to fix this problem without re-installing the
whole system.. (I don't have a 10BaseT connection anymore :-(
Downloading all those nifty programs will take a while...)

I've already replaced many of my libraries, including X11, libc/libm,
GTK, as well as gcc, binutils, and ldconfig...

Perhaps this has something to do with all of the crt1.o and related
files (that I have no idea what they do..)?  Or would those have been
replaced along with other stuff?

Anyway, any help is appreciated, and I'm very willing to offer any
better explanations..  Feel free to pass this note on to people you feel
would be more knowledgeable...

TIA,

Mike Hicks