Linux with Adobe PhotoShop - Is it a good idea?

I'm wondering if there are any Linux users who are using Adobe Unix products with Linux. It seems to me that the absense of the Windoze shell could be a benefit to performance, provided there are practical ways to handle file formats, etc.

I am especially interested in Adobe PhotoShop and Illustrator. I notice that the version number for Unix PhotoShop is 3.x and the Windows version is 5.x. I have no idea whether or not the Unix version has the same level of functionality as the Windows version.

If there is anyone in the group that has any working knowledge regarding graphic arts and the operating systems in common use, I would appreciate their input immensely.

Bob Nolte