Re: [TCLUG:580] Another Newbie

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Jon Schewe wrote:

> > Problem #1: I  don't know how to use my modem to attatch to my Internet
> > Provider -- I have a UM account.
>
> If you're setup as COM2 then is /dev/cua1.  The easiest way I've found
> is to use minicom to open the connection and login, then start your ppp
> program, shell out of minicom and start pppd with it's options and then
> kill off minicom.  If you authenticate with CHAP or PAP, ie. don't need
> to login with a prompt, you will have to use chat, which isn't all that
> bad.

I've had very good luck with both XISP and PPPsetup. I don't have the URLs
handy, but a look in the software section at http://www.linuxos.org will
give you the links you need.

Whenever I set up my PPP stuff. I always try using minicom just to check
whether my modem settings are correct. After that I move to something much
more user friendly.

Good luck,
Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your