Re: [TCLUG:628] Linux in the StarTribune

Ahhhh! So who said Linux was trying to go head-to-head with Microsoft?
You got me so riled up I don't know where to start!

I am a software developer, primarily on UNIX systems. I write 3-tier
middleware applications and I'm primarily in one of the big-3 (sun, HP,
or AIX). The company I worked for for years decided they were going to
save some money and replace our UNIX workstations with PC's and give us
XWindows emulators (Exceed and the like). Well, I'll tell you, the
second they plopped that PC on my desk, my productivity was cut in half!

Here are some pros-cons for having Linux on your desk:

PROS:
1. Linux (UNIX) is extremely powerful and efficient multitasker. If you
want to run multiple apps fast - this is the next best thing to a
mainframe, and if you want to talk to other systems when you do it, it
is virtually your only logical choice.

2. You don't have to spend a fortune on software every 6 months as the
PC leeches pump out their upgrades for $99 (or whatever). You've got
cutting edge, robust development packages out there for free -- and they
don't nag you for upgrades every couple of months.

3. Linux (UNIX) is build on a backbone of networking, where Windows has
networking build on top of it.

4. UNIX is far more robust of an operating system. The only time I every
saw a UNIX box (non Linux) panic (crash) was when the motherboard
developed a crack in it. We had a company policy to reboot the UNIX
boxes once a month, just because we though it would be a good idea. We
had an old Pyramid up and running for over 700 days with no down-time!
(try that with NT!!!)

-- Remember, the floppy disk was a PC invention, not a UNIX invention.
Until a few years ago, you couldn't even get a floppy on a UNIX box.
UNIX was designed to operate on permanent file systems. Admittedly,
Linux (UNIX)'s solution to accessing a floppy drive (or any other
removable drive -- except tapes) is a hack and should be re-architected.

CONS:
1. Linux (UNIX) was not designed as a desktop environment. It requires a
system administrator to keep the machine in good running order. For
Linux, that means YOU! If you have no desire to be a system
administrator, then I suggest getting Windows.

2. Linux (UNIX) was designed for power and speed, not eligance. UNIX is
very esoteric -- and that probably won't change. UNIX was never designed
for the average Joe off the street. It's a serious development platform
designed for industrial strength applications.

3. Linux (UNIX) is NOT user friendly. This is back to #1. If you have no
desire to learn the UNIX shells (Borne, Khorn, C-Shell, etc.) then buy a
PC. XWindows is an Add-On and rather difficult to configure and
maintain.

4. Linux (UNIX) was not designed to be turned on and off - like a PC is
apt to be. UNIX likes to be turned on, and left running -- which is not
something your average home owner would want to do with his/her PC.

Well, the list goes on and on. My short sample here, I hope, gives you
the flavor of what you are getting into when you put Linux on your home
PC. What you aren't getting is a "better" Windows. What you ARE getting
is the most powerful operating system next to a $50,000 commercial
computer.

Maybe someday UNIX will be entirely redesigned and re-architected to be
user friendly and it will compete with Windows. But not today.