Re: [TCLUG:626] Iomega Zip Drive

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> > Unless you have other scsi devices attached to the machine the zip drive
> > should be /dev/sda4, you just have to mount it and it works like any other
> > filesystem.
>
> Is this correct? Why would a parallel port device be represented as the
> fourth partition on the first SCSI disk?

My question exactly. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but that's what
it mount's as. I tried the others (sda, sda1 sda2 sda3). I don't now what
happens if you try to partition the disk, I'll have to try that.

> And what if you *do* have other SCSI disks? (I'm getting my new PC put
> together, and it will have all SCSI disks, including a SCSI Zip, so I'm
> kinda anxious about this...).

To tell the truth, I'm not sure. I don't have a whole lot of experience
with real scsi drives, just the parallel port zip. My guess would be that
it would depend on the order in which you hook them up to the scsi card
but I don't know where they'd throw in the zip if it was connected to the
parallel port.

Anyway, good luck. I've heard horror stories about PC scsi devices but
that had to do with the availability of drivers in win95 :)

Hans
--
Hans D Umhoefer (spudling@acm.cs.umn.edu)

Gravity is a myth... the Earth sucks.