Problem running scripts - Need Advice

I hope someone can give me a clue as to what to do to get my RH5.0 box
running scripts correctly. I'm presently taking the Unix I course at the
tech college.

2 Problems:

1.    I can't run any script without running in the current environment, ie.
        .  scriptname. I get the error   bash: [script]: command not found
        unless I do the dot thing.

2.    When I try to use exit in an if statement, it exits completely and
logs
        me out.

The scripts run fine in a telnet session at the votech which is also running
Linux and the Bash shell. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Nolte