Re: [TCLUG:759] Adaptec AHA2940U2W

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Reid Palmer <jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu>
To: tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com <tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:759] Adaptec AHA2940U2W

>Serge,
>
>That's an Ultra 2 Wide, isn't it? If I understand correctly, those are
>fairly new-ish, and thus there may not yet be drivers for Linux for them.
>However, most other Adaptec SCSI controllers are supported under Linux,
>and I thought I remember reading about Adaptec deciding to release specs
>to Linux driver writers. I could be wrong. But in any event, I would
>imagine that a driver is forth-coming, as Adaptec gear is popular and
>widely installed. Try posting on comp.os.linux.hardware, or some other
>appropriate newsgroup? You might get something.

     Yes, the 2940U2W is Ultra 2 Wide, and apparently it is not presently
supported.  Adaptec is supposed to be working closer with the Linux
community, but their website only says they are "researching an agreement to
provide information to Linux programmers" or somesuch vagueness.  In other
words, not today, probably not tomorrow, but maybe next week...