Re: [TCLUG:817] VRAM requirements for X

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Should I be able to get 800x600x8bit with 512k, or do you think I'm
> going to need the extra video RAM?

800*600*8 = 3840000 b
3840000 / 8 = 480000 B
480000 / 1024 = 468.75 KB

Seems like you should be able to get the resolution you want. But raw
numbers of course don't dictate the true capabilties of the video system
you have. But it's at least theoretically possible, so I think it's worth
hacking at, a bit.

As far as ISA card vs. chip upgrade, given that they cost the same I'd say
it comes down to how many ISA slots do these machines have, and will you
ever need more ISA cards (NICs?). Also, how difficult is the chip upgrade
to perform? If it's any more difficult than putting in an ISA card, then
you might want to consider that (it's not likely to be any easier). Is
future upgradability an issue? I'd think not likely, but Linux has a way
of making old gear surprisingly useful...

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/