Re: [TCLUG:845] X, Compaq and me: an update

Sometime around the 8th of August in 1998, a certain Tim Wilson said:

> Question #1:  What's the best program for setting up X? I didn't have a
> lot of luck with Xconfigurator. I finally got 800x600 to work by using
> xf86config. Has anyone used XF86Setup?

I used XF86Setup, for some reason. It didnt like my card so I had to tweak
my /etc/XF86Config myself. It's not such a bad program, though, but I've
not had any luck with the 'xvidtune' app it throws at you when you're done
setting up the card.

> Question #2:  How can I capture the text that is displayed as the X
> server
> starts up and shuts down? Obviously, I can read the last screen full of
> lines, but there are a lot more that scroll off that I would like to
> see.

startx > output-filename 2>&1

.. will capture it all into 'output-filename'.

--
| Josh Becker                   - aka -                     JellyD |