I killed local mail delivery!! sendmail and major problems!!

I was using a fake domain name for sendmail, and I just registered to
for a real one. I tried to have sendmail reflect the changes: I added
the new domain to /etc/sendmail.cw  and had sendmail.cf masquerade for
the real domain. I added a MX record in my DNS for the new domain to
point to my linux mail server running sendmail.

I also accidentally deleted my /home directory!

Now local mail doesn't work. I can't send mail to anyuser@olddomain.com
or anyuser@newdomain.com. The messages go to the queue where they sit
forever.

/var/log/maillog shows:

Aug 12 07:41:16 server sendmail[1240]: HAB01240: to=root,
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, relay=root, stat=Host
unknown (Name server: root: host not found)
Aug 12 07:41:16 server sendmail[1240]: HAA01240: Losing qfHAA01240:
savemail panic
Aug 12 07:41:16 server sendmail[1240]: HAA01240: SYSERR(root): savemail:
cannot save rejected email anywhere: Permission denied

when I run sendmail -q I get

<ben@192.168.1.1.>... Host unknown (Name server: 192.168.1.1.: host not
found)
<ben@server.hearing.org>... Host unknown (Name server: root: host not
found)
root... Host unknown (Name server: root: host not found)
savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere: Permission denied

I tried undoing everything I did to sendmail with the new domain but
still nothing works.

my DNS server is working and it has a line

hearing.org.          IN MX 5       server.hearing.org

and server.hearing.org is running sendmail. Yet I can't send mail to
user@hearing.org.

File permissions seems to be acting weird also.  the /var/spool/mail
directory originally had permissions of -rw--rw---- root, mail  but I
checked it later and it was ----------. I changed it back, but know
luck. Could deleting the home directory have messed up the user mail's
permissions or access?

I'm running redhat 5.1 with all the updates, sendmail 8.8.7 and qpopper.

--
Ben Luey
dogbert@sirius.com

http://www.sirius.com/~dogbert/

The software I bought said it required Windows '95 or better, so I installed it on Linux!