Boot Problems

I've just encountered a problem which I've never even heard of before.
When booting, the system goes into a forced fsck and then returns this
error "DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error".  Then it gives me the
...run fsck manually...Control-D to boot normally... at which point I
put in my root password and attempt to run fsck manually.  This then
produces inode errors which I cannot get past.  I've never had anything
like this ever before and I'm completely clueless about what to do.
Could any of you gurus please help?

--
Thanks,
Chris Muller