Re: [TCLUG:1044] source for comp. parts

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good source for misc. computer parts in the St.
> Paul area. I'm building some machines for school, and I need some
> extra-long IDE cables (can I get them longer than 19"?) and some
> mounting brackets for CD-ROM drives.

Dunno about the long cables -- there are often physical limits to such
things (I know SCSI has its limits, similar). Passive signals seem to
degrade too badly after 18.5 feet -- I've come into contact with this
limitation in several arenas. But 19 *inches* seems within bounds. *shrug*

But cyberguys.com is a great place for doodads of this sort -- pay them a
visit. I got my PC enclosure from them and it's cool, and they're easy to
deal with (no bullshit, the parts arrive in two days the end). They're not
in the St. Paul area, but hey, mail order.

> While I'm asking questions...Do I need to install a CD-ROM and CD-R/RW
> drive to make copies of CDs? Can you copy directly between the drives,
> or do I need to make an image of the CD on the HD first?

Oh yeah, you can copy directly from any SCSI device to the CD writer,
including CD-ROM drive to CD writer. I do it all the time at work.

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/