Re: [TCLUG:1068] telnet to server

Barry White wrote:

> How do I set up my Linux box to answer the modem and start a telnet session
> with the computer dialing in?  Or maybe just accept a call and send a login
> to a computer running a terminal program?  I know it's probably not too
> involved, but I can't find any info in the HOWTO's or man pages.

This works for text mode dialin access to your Linux box (I'm running RH
4.2, YMMV):

1. Read "Linux Serial HOWTO"
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO
2. Add a line similar to this to /etc/inittab:

# Added for dialin modem using hardware flow control 060497 SWJ
S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty -r -t60 ttyS1 38400 vt100

NOTE: ttyS1 corresponds to /dev/cua1 (COM2, where modem is). Substitute
value for your modem.

3. Select a template script from /usr/doc/getty_ps-xxx/Examples, where
xxx is your version of getty_ps program.  Copy the template to
/etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS1. I used uugetty.autoanswer.  You can edit it,
but the default worked for me.
4. Make init reread it's config file (/etc/inittab):	init q
5. Now check that you have a getty out there:  ps -aux|grep uugetty.
Attempt to dial into your machine from somewhere else.

If you want to switch off the dial-in access:
a) comment out the S1 line in /etc/inittab (line added above)
b) init q
c) done!

--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26