Re: [TCLUG:1041] Official InstallFest Announcement

Mark wrote:

> My two questions:
>
> Could my old Toshiba 486-33 with 120 meg hard drive really run with X on
> its 4 megs of RAM?  I could bring this along also.

This is the config I started out with (was Gateway but basically same
hardware).  I was able to run X, be it slow with heavy swapping with
only 4M of RAM.  Memory is dirt cheap for those older machines; go with
no less then 16M real & 32M virtual; 32M real if you have the room for
it.  I used old slackware (1.2 I think) distribution; redhat requires 8M
real RAM at a minimum.  486-33 will take close to 1 hr to install though
and about as long to compile kernel.  If you're game, I'm sure we are...

> Are external modems much more suggested than internal modems for Linux?

The nice part about externals is, if they lock up you can reset them
without having to
reboot.  They usually cost more too.  I have USR 33.6 internal with no
problems under RH 4.2.  WARNING:  SAY NO TO WINMODEMS!!!

--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26