[TCLUG:1227] xdm question

    S> Hello all, When I start X using the "startx" command, I'm able
    S> to specify the color depth I would like by using "startx --
    S> -bpp 24", etc.

    S> Is there a place to configure xdm to tell it what color depth
    S> to run at?

If you are running XFree86 you set this in the SCREEN section of your
XF86Config file . This is from the XF86Config man page

DefaultColorDepth bpp-number

               specifies which color depth the server should use,
               when no -bpp command line parameter was given.

So you would probably put

DefaultColorDepth 24

Andrew