Re: [TCLUG:1267] Why Linux?

Quoting Neal Tovsen (ntovsen@piper.hamline.edu):
> I will be the first, however, to say that I often don't choose Linux when it
> comes to day-to-day desktop applications. X just isn't there yet. Linux is
> faster and more powerful (as mentioned in a previous thread). One game of
> DOOM will prove that! However, I just seem to to get more/better work done
> in Windoze when I'm doing stuff like word processing, personal finance,
> PIM's and desktop databases (MS Access). I'll sacrifice the power/stability
> for efficiency-in/ease-of use. KDE and others are working to change that,
> but after a couple of months of using KDE apps, StarOffice, Netscape, and a
> few other apps as much as possible, I just ain't convinced yet. I hope it
> does change, though.

Windows still rules the desktop, but Linux is a solid choice for the
closet (server).

X is an excellent GUI. What other GUI do you get a client/server
architecture by default. But the widget set is ugly. I think the GNOME
project will fix that.
--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700