Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 02:43:37 -0700
From: Zot O'Connor <zot@ZotConsulting.com>
To: 'PLUG' <plug@Northwest.com>
Subject: Re: Intel Linux User's Group & kickoff meeting -- Report

Well I crashed this event, here are my thoughts:

Intel is embracing Linux is a LARGE way.

This is very good.

They are tying to be a good player while still pursuing their corporate
goals.  Some of their marketing stats;  7-10 million Linux users, 50/50
workstation/server, 90% intel based.

Intel has some legal sticking issues with releasing GPL code (their
lawyers, not anyone present).  They are actively working towards a
solution.

The have some technical goals as well, some of which are not Linus'
first choice, but they seemed honorable goals.  Things like Unified
Device Interface (which allow binary releases of drivers), OS
performance enhancement, compiler enhancements, providing reference
code, SMP Scalability, > 2 Gig memory, kernel debuggers.  and much much
more.

ILUG is intel internal User group, has a web site (ilug.intel.com,
available only inside Intel).  They are targeting to have local user
groups at each site/campus.

Here is the kicker:  The room held I think 1000 people.  There were very
few seats left.  This was a poorly announced event, and it was Standing
Room Only!  This shows that the people of Intel are very interesting in
promoting Linux.

Now to Linus' speech:

WoW!  I am a student of public speaking.  I teach public speaking and I
am often quietly critical of almost everyone giving a talk.  I was
expecting Linus to be understated, polite and difficult to nail down.

Boy was I wrong.

He was one of the best speakers I've ever seen.  I mean this in terms of
all speakers, preachers, politicians, CEOs, etc.  He held the audience
solidly.  Used to humor to state his points, rather than detract, he
answered the questions asked, rather than the ones he thought were
asked, and he really, really thought out his answers.

I look forward to seeing him again.

Linus did warn Intel of two things (when asked):  "Being Big is not the
same as being right,"  and no matter how well Intel does, there are
wackos (his words) in the Linux community who will attack whatever they
do.

--

Bob, oh damn, I forgot his name, the CEO of RedHat gave a nice talk
afterwards.  It was a set of stories telling his background.  Cute

--

On the whole there was a lot of people there and some top notch
questions.  When Intel can get over its legal issues I think there may

Linux has come a long way!

--
Zot O'Connor

www.ZotConsulting.com