Re: [TCLUG:1420] how do I make a beep?

    Bob> Quoting Andrew McCulloh (mcculloh@2z.net):
    >> There are more direct ways to do this. The "real" unix way is
    >> to write a program that reads the utmp file. Have a look at the
    >> utmp(5) and getutent(3) man pages for info on how to get
    >> information out of utmp. A copy of stevens' Advanced Progamming
    >> the UNIX Environment will come in handy if you want to send
    >> signals to other peoples tty's.

    Bob> The above is this "Microsoft" or "Windows" way. Why re-invent
    Bob> the wheel? Use the tools that are at hand and the simplest
    Bob> solution.

    Bob> From the posting you can tell the individual is not a systems
    Bob> program, why have them jump into signal handling, ptys, slave
    Bob> ptys and the works? Sheesh...

Hey now, that's not very pleasant. Sure there are many ways to do
this. I personally don't recommend the utmp method unless you are
willing to sit down w/ gcc, read lots of man pages, and become best
friends with the debugger. But to each their own, the beauty of unix
vs. widows is that there is more than one way to do things. And, if you
want to learn more about the system, you can dig as deep as you like.

Andrew

p.s. the simplest way to do this involves a couple line shell script
that calls who & cut or awk...