RE: [TCLUG:1638] old bios, new hard disk

goto maxtor's site, and download a copy of their "maxblast" software.. it's the
best software for dealing with LBA problems.. it's transparent, works with
linux, and has some other nifty utils on the self-booting disk

to make it work with lilo (since it sits in the mbr)

first set your linux / drive to be the only active primary partition on the
drive.. (MS loves to try and change this, "I'm the only OS there is")
then when setting up lilo.. set it to install in the superblock of the
harddrive, and not the MBR  to do this.. simply change the "boot=/dev/hda" line
to read "boot=/dev/hda?" where the ? is the root linux partition.. everything
else will install normally.. just make sure when you want to boot off a
floppy.. you let the maxblast startup first, and then have it boot the FD.

On 06-Oct-98 Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Well, I'm back to world of the living. Mid-quarter reports were due today,
> and I was up until 3am finishing grades. Now I can return to getting my
> computers working.
>
> I finally got the misc. parts that I had ordered to finish assembling some
> Pentium systems. The first one I put together is a P-90. I put in 64 MB
> RAM, ethernet, ATI video card, and a new 4.3 GB hard disk. I entered the
> BIOS and put the number of cylinders, sectors, etc. and it seemed like the
> BIOS was OK--it reported that the disk was the correct size.
>
> These machines will be dual-boot with Win95 so I tried to partition the HD
> so I could install Windows. The Windows 95 fdisk program won't recognize
> the disk correctly. It thinks it's 430 MB (or something like that).
>
> Is this a BIOS or Windows problem. BTW, the Linux Disk Druid correctly
> reports the size of the hard disk. That makes me think it's a Windows
> problem. If so, what's the fix?
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Timothy D. Wilson                     "A little song, a little dance,
> University of MN, chem. dept.         a little seltzer down your
> wilson@chem.umn.edu                   pants."   -Chuckles the Clown
> Phone: (612) 625-9828                       as eulogized by Ted Baxter

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)