Re: [TCLUG:1769] environment variables

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Where can I find a primer on the use and abuse of environment variables? I

Not sure. I'd like to know too.

> understand what they are, but I haven't been able to find an information
> about how to display the value of a given variable (e.g., $PATH) or how to
> modify it. Specifically, I need to add a directory to my path, but I'm not
> sure how to accomplish it.

This is the *easy* stuff that *this* newbie knows:

% env  <-- dumps all your variables to screen
% echo $PATH <-- displays your path variable
% export foo=bar <-- sets variable foo to "bar"

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.