Re: [TCLUG:1804] Reinstalling -- How should I partition?

Quoting Ben Luey (lueyb@carleton.edu):
> Is there any reason not to just have one large partition if you have one
> hard drive? I have a 6.4 gig hd and I'm only using it as a workstation, so
> why shouldn't I have

  Backups and fscks.  Have you ever backed by devices?  6.3 gig takes
  a hell of along time.  Have you ever had linux crash( we all know it
  does crash, but if it did :) ), it most like will do a fsck on all
  filesystem.  Boy, will that take a long time.  What about flexibility?
  Ok. lets say you do backup that 6.3 gig partition, and now you disk
  goes bad.  You replace the disk, but you put in a 2 gig'er.  Your
  tape of the 6.3 gig partition could have more that 2 gig on it?  How
  do you restore all that information?  Planning is a large part of
  running any unix system.  Poor decisions in the beginning can lead to
  major headaches in the end.  IMHO, a 6.3 gig partition for / is just plain
  stupid.