Re: [TCLUG:1777] directory sizes

> The back ticks create a subshell and execute the ls -d */. in it. If
> you are using bash you should be able to do the same thing with
>
>         du -s <(ls -d */.)
>
> I tried this from my home directory and got the following:
>
> shaft:~$ du -s <(ls -d */.)
> 0       /proc/self/fd/63

Is this what you wanted?  The equivalent to back ticks would be
du -s $(ls -d */.)

That's the way you're _supposed_ to do things (apparently..  i read it
in some book.. :-P ) instead of using backticks.. I don't know why...
perhaps because it's so hard to read whether a tick is forward or
backward (especially when certain fonts put them going upside-down,
etc..)

Anyway, I can't imagine that anyone would want to run du -s <(ls -d */.)

Unless you're debugging pipes or somethnig....  (But hey, maybe I'm
missing something...)

--
                    --== Mike Hicks ==--
http://umn.edu/~hick0088	mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu