Re: [TCLUG:1929] locked console

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Tim Wilson wrote:

> I was working on my server this afternoon and managed to lock up the
> console. The keyboard is unresponsive. I killed my shell remotely, but I
> still could use the keyboard. Is there a way to reset the keyboard without

Could this message be a little more unclear! What a dope!

Cool...I just flamed myself.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that I was trying to reinstall XFree
on the server. It's got one of the 3DImage975 cards and I decided to try
SuSE's new X server for that previously unsupported card. Anyway, X was
dying on startup with a message about the mouse not being found.

I thought I'd try a different mouse to see if that might be a problem.
After unplugging the original mouse and plugging in a different one, the
console keyboard was totally locked up. I killed the shell from a
different workstation, but the keyboard remained locked.

I'm wondering if there's a way to reset the keyboard and mouse devices
without rebooting. Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your