Re: [TCLUG:1992] mouse broken

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Tim Wilson wrote:

> I've got a mouse that doesn't work anymore. All was well until a few weeks
> ago when we had a power outage. No X, no gpm, no nothin'. Everything
> reports that the mouse doesn't exist. I've used the RedHat mouseconfig
> program to set it up. I've also checked the settings manually. It's a
> 3-button Logitech PS/2 mouse.

Haven't you been having this problem for a while? I think you should
entertain the possibility that the power outage somehow broke your
motherboard or something. Which would be a bummer.

Also, you should definitely compile mouse support (psaux in your case)
into the kernel, not as a module. I always do this for good luck.

There are no RPMs you can re-install for mouse support; it's a kernel
thing. De- and then re-install X (the whole damn thing), see if that
helps. If that doesn't help, do a total reinstall (I know, a Microsoft
answer, but it probably won't be necessary or help anyway), and if that
doesn't help, start crying (it'd then be a fried hardware problem).

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/