RE: [TCLUG:2041] Strange terminal

	I've heard, can't remember where, that Minitel is still in use in France --
thanks to the same spirit that inspired a government bureau to weed
anglicisms like "le compact-disque" out of the language.  I don't know
whether to admire or be alarmed at that kind of commitment to national
identity -- "Vive la France" just doesn't have the same ominous ring as
"Deutschland Uber Alles", I guess.
	I recall that in 1992 USWest was trying to sell Minitel to Minnesota.  I'm
not sure whether they were actually using French Minitel terminals, but I
saw a demo of it at a technology fair at Dayton's in Minneapolis that year
(I also got to play that damned VR game with the pterodactyl) and it looked
identical to the systems I remembered from my highschool French textbooks.
They got a little over a thousand customers before the Web explosion
relegated the project to Betamax status.
	I've seen a couple of Minitel-like terminals at a pawn shop across from
where I work, and they looked as though they would at least be sufficient
for, say, dialing up local  Citadel BBSes.  Unfortunately, the shop got its
license suspended, so I never got a chance to take the thing home and try it
out.

--
Eric Hillman - UNIX Sysadmin
City & County Credit Union