PHP, Databases, Connectivity

I am running a service for my clients that is set up (currently) like
this:

1. Client hits my Web site and fills out a multi-page form. This form is
data driven and connected to a MS Access database. The technology used is
IIS and ASP on a NT box.

2a. Client uploads a file to my server (also using ASP on the NT box).

...or...

2b. Client emails the file to me (which lands on my Linux box).

3. Based on the information the user put in the database in step 1, I
process the file and send it back to the client. In processing, I use
Visual FoxPro on my Windows 95 box. This is a complicated program with
many pieces that can not be rewritten in the near future.

My goal is to convert steps 1 and 2a from IIS and ASP to Apache and PHP. I
have successfully installed and tested Apache 1.3.3 with mod_php 3.0.5,
and am learning how to translate the code snippets from VBScript to PHP.

I need advice:

* What kind of database do I use as the back end to my forms? Remember, I
have to be able to get to them from a Windows 95 system (possibly using
ODBC).

* How do I set up the Apache / PHP system to receive an uploaded file?
Examples anywhere? I would like to maintain the original name of the file
and drop it into a specific directory for that user (perhaps on the Linux
box, perhaps on the Windows 95 box).

* Best book for getting up to speed on PHP?

Thanks all!

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.