Re: [TCLUG:2203] Unresolved Symbols After Compiling Kernel

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Scott K. Johnson wrote:

> I was still getting the "unresolved symbol" message.
>
> Trying something I saw on the list a short while back, I ran "depmod -a
> 2.0.34" for the kernel version I'm running, but no go.

"Unresolved symbol" doesn't neccesarily mean that the kernel the modules
were made for is different than the one you're running currently. In fact
the error you would get in that case would inform you that the modules
were compiled for a different kernel.

Most likely you are trying to load a module that needs another kernel
feature to operate. For instance if I try to load ppa (the module for my
parallel port zip drive) without loading scsi_mod (the general scsi
support module) I get unresolved symbol messages.

You may need to load some other modules before loading the ones which are
giving you the error messages.

Hans

--
Hans D Umhoefer (spudling@acm.cs.umn.edu)