How do I debug?

I'm trying to write a bash script that will replace the rm command with a
script to move  files / directories to /home/delete/username/. I got
the basics setup, but I'm getting "unexpected EOF while looking for '"'"
and I don't know how to debug. I've tried #ing out if's and then's
until it works, but this has only taught be that the first if then works
and the rest of iterated ones don't. I don't know what I'm looking for
(what does that error mean?) so I'm at a loss as what to do. Could
someone show be how to look for the problem?  Thanks!

Note: the wacky sed command to replace "--" with dumbgrep is because grep
can't search for "--", and I need the script to notice -- because
otherwise --force triggers recursive and other problems. I believe the
concept is write, although I haven't been able to test it.

Thanks again,

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

I'm visualizing the conceptualization process. That's that hard part.
     -- Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)