RE: [TCLUG:2336] fetchmail on connect

Well, your .fetchmailrc file in your root directory can be set up to deliver
mail to multiple users...  Editing the file by hand would be kind of a pain so
I suggest you install fetchmailconf.  This is a great little GUI ERS coded in
Python...  all you have to do is install Python and make sure TKinter is
enabled (TKinter is Python's GUI utility) and then run fetchmailconf.
Fetchmailconf lets you setup multiple email accounts and their usernames.  To
enable TKinter while building Python, you have to go into the modules directory
where you untar/gzipped the Python source, and edit the Setup file to allow
_tkinter.c to build.  It may sound complicated the way I've described it but if
you read the INSTALL and README files it's pretty self explanatory.  When you
get that all set up, you just call fetchmail in rc.local and when your computer
boots, it'll start the fetchmail daemon.  It's really slick...  I love
fetchmail!

As far as getting it to run only when your PPP connection is enabled, I have no
clue...  I have an ADSL connection so I never had to worry about it.  One thing
that does happen tho, I've noticed, is that the fetchmail daemon continues to
run whether you have an INet connection open or not...  So if it's running at
bootup, and then you later connect, it will finally be able to get the mail and
then when you disconnect, it will continue trying to get the mail but it won't
be able to connect to anything..  I really doubt having fetchmail run 24-7 will
use up all that much memory...

Hope I could help...

Gabe