Re: [TCLUG:2406] modem woes

At the risk of recommending the WinNT Admin approach, you may want to try
using ezppp.  :-)  For us die-hard linux folks, you could try the
following (note, you're gonna have to be the type that uses vi instead of
pico):
run `dip -t`

once inside:

port modem (or equiv: ttyS0, cua0, etc)
speed 115200
reset
flush
dial -t 555-5555 (or your isp's number)

Once you've connected to the term server, you can login with your username
and password.  Once you've reached that point, several things can happen,
but usually, you can enter in either "slip" or "ppp."  Back out of
terminal mode (dip should tell you how), and 9 times out of 10, a ppp
session will be established.  When you're done, you can SIGHUP the pid...
It's been a number of years since I've tried this approach, but this did
work at some point.  This is a good way to debug login scripts and learn a
little more about you're isp.

If you're isp offers legit ppp connections, it can be as easy as this:

#!/bin/sh
`/usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" ATDT5555555 CONNECT ""
sername: yourusername word: yourpassword server ppp' /dev/modem 115200
crtscts defaultroute noipdefault`

That's all one line, btw.  You'll need pppd and chat to make it work.
Remember, 5555555 is your isp's phone #.  Good Luck!

Peter Lukas
Math Systems Office
University of Minnesota