TCLUG Meeting topic?

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I think security might be a
good topic for the upcoming TCLUG meeting (unless someone had already
made a topic..)

I know that my own box has been subject to attack (or at least a few
'probes').  Perhaps a few have been successful (I've come back to my
room 2 or 3 times to see the hard drive racing, and my X session locked
up or the display stuck in sleep mode..)  I've also had tcp_wrappers
catch at least one attempt to break into my IMAP server (which is now
disabled -- I don't need it..)

Anyway, I think it is a good idea for us to learn about computer
security -- before everyone (and I do mean _everyone_ -- not just
computer pros..) gets on DSL and connect their homes to the Internet
24x7..  If computer attacks today can already result in smoking hard
drives, I'd hate to see what could happen in the future if my toaster
gets connected to the Internet..

I figured that we could get some of the more experienced people (most
probably work at ISPs..) to give some tips..

Well, it's kind of late to be picking a topic, but something's usually
better than nothing..
--
                    --== Mike Hicks ==--
http://umn.edu/~hick0088	mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu