Re: [TCLUG:2478] export PATH=$PATH doesn't work

Exporting a variable, in a Bourne-derived shell, sets it up so that child
processes of the shell inherit that variable.

If you do
# PATH="$PATH":/foo/bar
# xterm &
then your new xterm will inherit the PATH from your shell, which is the
parent.

My guess is that the new shell is not a child of the shell in which you
exported the PATH variable.

If you want to make all your shells use that path, add the line to the
end of your .bash_profile, .bash_login, or .profile.  The change will take
effect next time you login.