Dvorak (was: posters and questions)

On 5 Dec 1998 barnabas@pobox.com wrote:

> I would guess that approximately 30-40% of the letters are vowels

This obviously varies by language...

> and when you add to that the consonants and punctuation that are in the
> left hand in the Dvorak layout, you may get at least 45% left-hand
> typing and 55% right-hand -- not too far from balanced.

...which implies that you'd need a keyboard layout optimized for every
language. I don't know for what language Dvorak was designed, but I tend
to think it wasn't English. (Optimization would involve more than just
vowel placement; common consonants and consonant clusters vary by language
as well. In fact I think Qwerty is good -- for English -- in this regard.)

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

"Luminous beings are we. Not this...crude matter."  -- Yoda