Re: [TCLUG:2581] Interesting Linux articles

[snip Linux vs. Sun articles]

I've been hearing about this for a while. Even before Linux came around,
the commercial Unix vendors were just cannibalizing each other for that
puny bit of marketshare they collectively have. With free software kernels
on the scene, there's just no reason to ever buy/use the commercial stuff
(although Solaris is said to be the most stable of OSs). Maybe this will
cause Sun and other commercial vendors to release their source, or at
least open up Java (which would be great).

I tend to think of Unices collectively as a single OS, differentiated only
by their level of free-ness. I think Unix (in the collective,
Linux-is-most-important sense) *will* beat out NT, because the failings of
NT become more apparent everyday. It simply does not emasure up. If a
single commercial Unix vendor is killed in the crossfire, I won't be
crying.

Apple being a Unix vendor now makes things a bit weird...

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

"Luminous beings are we. Not this...crude matter."  -- Yoda