Re: [TCLUG:2679] PC error message

This means that it can't find an operating system. I got this problem when
I had an non-ide cdrom drive pluged in as an IDE drive (same number of
pins) and it disabled my hard drive / floppy controller. Since there
wasn't a hard drive nor a floppy it couldn't access a OS. Try unplugging
everything but the floppy and put in a bootable disk. If it works, add
hard drives, etc and make sure nothing is plugged in backwards.

Good Luck,

Ben

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to get an old 486 running but I get the following message after
> it does its memory check:
>
> NO ROM BASIC
> SYSTEM HALTED
>
> I can get into the bios setup program, but I don't see any problems there.
> Am I hosed?
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
> University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your
> wilson@chem.umn.edu			pants."   -Chuckles the Clown
> Phone: (612) 625-9828                       as eulogized by Ted Baxter

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

We live in the Computer Age, and you need to get with the program.  You
are standing in the airport terminal of life, and the jet plane of the 21st
century isabout to take off.  You must make a choice: Do you remain in the
terminal, eating the stale vending-machine food of outmoded thinking?  Or do
you get on the plane and soar into the stratosphere of computerization, swept
along by the jet stream of evolving technology, enjoying the in-flight snack
of virtually unlimited information access, secure in the knowledge that if you
encounter the turbulence of rapid change, you are holding, in this book, the
barf bag of expert guidance?  -- Dave Barry