RE: [TCLUG:2721] Networking via parallel port

A standard parallel cable has the DB25 connector on one end and a Centronics
(printer) connector on the other end, so it can't be used to connect
parallel port to parallel port.  Also, it's not wired right for PLIP.  The
"LapLink" cable is the parallel equivalent of a null-modem cable.  It has
DB25 on both ends and is wired for two-way data transmission.  Mine cost $19
at Dexis.  I've also seen them from time to time at Computer Renaissance and
CompUSA.

This cable also works with the DOS InterLink program, LapLink (of course)
and PcAnywhere.  If you want to make it yourself, wiring docs are in the
PLIP mini-HOWTO or in the DOS help file for INTERLNK.EXE.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator