Distributed.net team

  In case any of you hadn't been paying attention, our Distributed.net RC5
cracking team has risen to 1352nd place out of 5,442 registered teams,
placing us in the top 25% of all teams registered.  Not bad, but we can
probably do better.

http://rc5stats.distributed.net/cgi/tm_members.idc?TM=6533

   I'm running the RC5 client on two machines at home, and three here at
work.  I realize not everybody has access to quite that many computers, but
even a single Pentium-166 working while you're away from the keyboard can
crank through about a hundred blocks in a day.  I'm guessing as few as 3-5
additions to the team could push us into the top 1000 pretty quickly.

   The rc5 client is very small, and in "extremely nice" mode is virtally
unnoticeable on anything larger than a P-166.  I run it constantly, even
when I'm working, and I haven't noticed any significant slowdowns.  It
determines when other processes are trying to use the CPU and "throttles
down" accordingly, then cranks back up to full speed when the system isn't
busy.  I would only recommend running it on a sub-166MhZ machine when that
system is otherwise idle, however.

   You can download clients for pretty much every platform known to humanity
here:
http://www.distributed.net/clients.html

	The Linux Users of Minnesota team ID is 6533.

--
Eric Hillman - UNIX Sysadmin
City & County Credit Union