Re: [TCLUG:2816] SuSE and DHCP, anyone?

> Now that I can run Linux without using a boot floppy (but still
> painfully), I'm going to need Internet access. I'd prefer not to use my
> modem because I have ADSL, and that requires DHCP.
>
> I have downloaded and read the DHCP MiniHOWTO, but I thought I'd ask the
> group if any of you have DHCP running on SuSE linux and what it took to
> get going. SuSE is still missing from many HOWTO pages.
>
> (And I'm THIS close to buying RedHat because of my contempt for the SuSE
> manual.

Okay, I'm doing a bad thing: I don't run SuSE, but I'm still trying to
answer your question.  Does SuSE have a control panel of sorts for
setting up network cards?  RedHat has this, and there is a little toggle
button that allows you to use DHCP or BOOTP for automatic
configuration.  I believe linuxconf has that too.

Of course, you can probably just try 'dhcpcd eth0' and put that line in
your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file or something..

--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.1.131