Re: [TCLUG:2812] Enlightenment

"Barnholtz, Brian" wrote:

> Has anyone every installed the Enlightenment Windows Manager for
> X-Windows?  I would like to use a different Windows Manager than the
> standard one which comes with Caldera.  Anyone have any favorites?

Yeah, I run Enlightenment almost exclusively (popping very
occasionally over to WindowMaker for a change of pace).
Enlightenment has a bad rap because it allows for very
graphics-intensive themes that will (no matter how efficient your
WM is) bog down any machine.  If you put a basic theme (like the
default one) on it, it runs great!

Of course, it's still under heavy development.  The authors (a
couple of crazy characters :c) are _very_ attentive to code
stability, so their releases are pretty slow to come out, but
very reliable.  The last stable release is E14.  Personally, I
run the development version (from CVS), and I don't think it's
ever crashed on me (not including a couple x-server crashes).
They recently did a total rewrite, so it doesn't have all the
fanciest bells & whistles (although it does have a number of
slick things that most other WM's don't have, like anti-aliased
fonts, shaped window decorations, and sliding desktops).

Well, I like it anyway.

To address Chris's concerns about configuration, they have added
a configuration app (requires gtk+-perl), and are planning a much
more integrated config system.

One of the drawbacks to Enlightenment is that it requires a bunch
of other graphics libraries, but most of them (if not all) should
exist in rpm/tar somewhere.

It's definitely worth a look.  Let me know if you have any
problems.

John