Re: [TCLUG:2831] VArStation and RedHat 5.2

On Tue, Dec 15 1998, Bob Tanner wrote:
Bob> I bought a VArStation a while back and I am now upgrading it to Redhat
Bob> 5.2. Since VAResearch only sells Linux compatible hardware and I have
Bob> been running 5.1 for months I thought an upgrade would be a piece of
Bob> cake.
Bob>
Bob> Wrong.
Bob>
Bob> When I start the upgrade and the installation program wants to load
Bob> the SCSI module for the NCT 53C8xx it just hangs. I can still switch
Bob> virtual consoles, and mess around in the bash shell in VC-2. But
Bob> nothing else.
Bob>
Bob> Weird part is the packing list says I have a Simbios ultra-2 SCSI
Bob> control. Is this an NCR compat card?
Bob>
Bob> Any other ideas? Like maybe some boot-time commandline parameters?

I asked them about this once.  When you get the Linux installation from them there is an extra module for the ultra-2 SCSI card because it's not supported yet.  You also have a 53C875 card for the non ultra2 scsi probably.
---
Jon Schewe
jpschewe@usa.net
http://tcfreenet.org/~schewe