Re: [TCLUG:2833] Laptop backup suggestions?

> on another machine via the network.  The problem is, it's a pain to
> restore to be able to read that tape via the network (you need an OS
> first, duh).
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with parallel port zip
> drives or iomega ditto 2GB tape drives on laptops.

You're going to need an OS regardless of whether your backup is local or
remote.  Take a look at tomsrtbt at http://www.toms.net.  It's a
single-floppy Linux distribution with a lot of functionality.

You could boot off it, load pcmcia and network modules, then restore from
the network.  And it's customizeable.  I suppose you could remove a few
drivers you don't need and add support for Ditto or parallel port Zip.

Chris