Re: [TCLUG:3241] Linux for "regular" users

Tim Wilson wrote:

> Why should a regular user choose Linux over Windows 9x?
>
> * variety of UIs that are available
> * stability
> * security, No one else in the family/office can mess with your personal
> files.
> * open source provides better learning environment for children or adults
> who would like to learn more about programming or general computer
> operation.
> * The Linux community (e.g, TCLUG)
> * availability of support (see above)
> * cost
> * performance on older hardware
>
> Why should a regular user choose Windows 9x over Linux?
>
> * compatibility with certain types of new/bleeding edge hardware (e.g,
> USB, sound cards)
> * availability of certain types of apps (e.g, Quicken)

I can run Quicken 4 under Wine.

> * ease of sharing files with other users

On Windows 9x over Linux:

* what household doesn't have stuff like Word, Works or Excel running (I have
yet to get Word95 running under Wine)
* kid's games (sole reason I have a boot option to Windows95)
* ease of integration with certain devices ( can't seem to get the Zip tools
to compile)
* stuff like the Windows-only HP drivers for printers

--
Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.