Microphone

Anyone have any nuggets of info about how to set up my microphone? I've got
kvoice working for voice-mail, but I can't enter my own greeting 'cause
apparently my mic isn't set up.

FWIW, I used sndconfig to set up my Soundblaster 16 and am running RH 5.2. I
do have a license for OSS, but I'd like to keep it on my other box so I can
use the AWE-64 wavetable. I haven't set OSS up with a mic either. Would that
make it a lot easier? sndconfig worked really well for output.

TIA
Neal