RE: [TCLUG:3372] UI (was: Windows NT pricing)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Schlough, Mark (NM IT) wrote:

> There is a compression tool that gets up to 10 times the compression on
> the X protocol and normally gets about 4 times that under normal use.
> This was mentioned in LJ a few months ago.

Well, that is cool.

> > n o n - e x i s t e n t   U I   c o n s i s t e n c y
>
> Are you talking about the X server, the window manager.... what
> part?

The fact that there *exist* multiple window managers, and that the nuts
and bolts of UI are not built into the display server as they should be.

> > s h i t t y   f o n t   r e n d e r i n g
>
> 	again, is this X or something else?

That'd be X.

> > Again, though, X is lacking in applications,
>
> Technically, X Windows _is_ an application.  That's all.  It is
> a server/client application.  That's it.

I'm talking about applications that do real work, like GIMP and Word
Pefect. There are few and generally low quality.

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid/